Guitars, Pedals, Amps: Ism!

Monday 4 May 2009

Tanglewood Love


Now those that know me well know that I'm not often lost for words. In fact I'm not going to deny that the words SHUT UP are often used in my vicinity but I've been away this weekend and haven't put much thought into what to write.

However this weekend I took my relatively new Tanglewood TW60 with me on my journey to my Wife's' parents place partly because I get at a loose end if I don't have a guitar nearby to pick up and play when the mood takes me (as if often does) and partly because I have a solo gig this Saturday that I really should rehearse for...

When it comes down to it I am primarily an electric guitar player. There are things you can do with electrics that you just cannot muster from an acoustic because the acoustic is a different animal, it just needs to be played differently to get the best results from it. As I learnt the hard way you can't just apply electric guitar techniques to an acoustic because it will most probably sound shit.

The good think about my acoustic is that it looks nice, it has a lovely solid spruce top (the flecking in the grain leads me to believe it might be Nepalese spruce...) in a sunburst finish with lovely natural mahogany back and sides. It even has a discrete B-Band AT3 pickup with built in tuner (handy for tone deaf idiots like myself) and I chose to get one without a cutaway as I preferred the sound from a full body. Anyway something about these factors gave me the ability to sway my Wife into letting me keep it on a STAND in our LIVING ROOM so I can pick it up and play it WHENEVER I WANT, except if there is something she wants to watch on the telly.

I pretty much bought this guitar on a whim 6 months ago but with its sound improving the more I play it and it completely opening up my playing style so I can thoroughly enjoy this instrument mean that it has pretty much paid for itself. My heart goes out to you my lovely TW60!

No comments:

Post a Comment